What Are SEO Keywords?
SEO Keywords are the literal words in the content of a webpage belonging to a website. A search engine relates the words in a query input by a user with the keywords of different websites and displays a list of webpages that have keywords that seem most relevant to the user’s search. These keywords are the foundation for ensuring that the user is directed to a webpage with the right content.
Search engine optimization of keywords ensures that the webpage is displayed at a higher rank in the search engine results page (SERP), when a user query contains the keywords on the webpage in concern. The search engine optimization of a website starts with keyword research as the first step.
Keyword research involves the process of finding those keywords that will allow the website to rank higher in the results of a query input to a search engine involving those exact words. It also aims to find the type of keywords that a company’s target audience uses on the web and social media. Extensive research is done in studding the keywords employed by the competitors and the results that they yield. Words synonym to other words that are commonly used on search engines are also extracted.
Importance of Keyword Research
The SEO keyword research process is beneficial in several ways:
* It helps structure the website’s content with relevance to keywords. This means that the users will find exactly what they are looking for, leading to a better user experience
* The URLs of the webpages as well as the backlinks can be optimized to include those keywords resulting in a better traffic for the website
* It helps to dig out keywords that are not obvious but still yield highly relevant results as well as are less competitive.
* Keyword research has been popularly known to increase the returns of various websites by increasing the traffic and yield high returns on investment
Tips for Implementing Keywords
For optimal website results, the SEO keywords should be used as under
* Usage in HTML code: The keywords must be used in multiple tags namely the title, meta tags, meta description of the webpage and the URL of the page
* Usage in content: The content of the webpage must use multiple instances and forms of the keyword
* Usage in image file path: The keyword should be used in the file name and the alternate text of all images on the webpage
Keyword Research Tools
Various tools are available for researching keywords. Some of these are free while others are commercial. Google AdWords Keyword Planner and Bing Ads Keyword Planner are examples of free tools that are provided by the respective search engines. SEMRush and Ubersuggest are third party tools available for the same purpose.
The process of keyword research is a continuous affair. The SEO Keywords will keep on changing due to a variety of factors, such as the market demand, competition, popularity, introduction of new products and platforms, and their ranking by search engines. As long as the websites will continue battling it out for better rankings and market share, keyword research will have utmost importance.